PHOENIX, AR (The Arizona Republic) – A man suspected of shooting a limo driver in the leg twice on Sunday in Phoenix has been linked to two other shootings, Maricopa County court records show.
Zhair Zamora-Sepulveda, 29, was booked into Maricopa County’s Fourth Avenue Jail Sunday, police said.
Phoenix police responded to a “shots fired” call just before 1 a.m. Sunday in west Phoenix, where they found a man wounded, according to court papers. The papers said the man was a 43-year-old limo driver who was shot in the leg.
“The suspect and his girlfriend had rented a limousine for the evening to attend a party,” Phoenix police Sgt. Alan Pfohl.
According to court records, the pair rented a “white hummer limousine.”
The shooting occurred as the limo driver dropped Zamora-Sepulveda and his girlfriend off at her home near 69th Avenue and Van Buren Street, according to the Phoenix Police Department.
“The limousine driver had reminded the suspect that their contract was good through midnight,” Pfohl said.
Pfohl also said that when the driver reminded Zamora-Sepulveda that “he was owed additional monies” after returning the pair home, Zamora-Sepulveda went into the house, then came back out to the front yard holding a handgun, Pfohl said.
“The suspect fired multiple rounds,” downward and at the limo driver,” Pfohl said.
Court documents accuse Zamora-Sepulveda of shooting five times at the limo driver, striking him once in his left calf and once in his right ankle.
Pfohl said Zamora-Sepulveda was “still armed with the gun” when police arrived, but officers were immediately able to take him into custody.
Zamora-Sepulveda faces charges of aggravated assault and misconduct involving weapons, Pfohl said.
Court records say Zamora-Sepulveda “is a previously deported felon and illegally in the United States.” He received probation and was deported following a charge of misconduct with weapons in 2009, according to court records.
While in custody, Zamora-Sepulveda admitted to shooting “another victim in the stomach” in a case where he was identified as the shooter on Feb. 10, 2013, court documents said.
He admitted to possessing the handgun but said he fired in self defense, records said.
Police also linked Zamora-Sepulveda to another shooting in 2011 in front of his Phoenix home, according to court documents.
It was not immediately known what the status of Zamora-Sepulveda’s girlfriend was Monday.
Zamora-Sepulveda is due back in court on May 22 and he is being held on $100,000 bond.