North Carolina Sheriff Refused ICE Hold, Released Convicted Sex Offender

North Carolina Sheriff Refused ICE Hold, Released Convicted Sex Offender

RALEIGH, NC (WTVD) – An undocumented immigrant convicted of sexual battery in Wake County is now in the custody of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

ICE said Furmencio Miranda-Cortazar, 45, of Mexico was arrested by federal officials at his Raleigh home on Saturday.

Miranda-Cortazar was also arrested in 2018, accused of a first-degree sex offense and indecent liberties with a child.

Court documents say the girl was 5 years old when the abuse started and lasted for 8 years.

Miranda-Cortazar was convicted of sexual battery in June.

ICE said it asked the Wake County Sheriff’s Office to hold Miranda-Cortazar on an ICE detainer, but he was released.

But the sheriff’s office says Miranda-Cortazar was in their custody for more than a year – and ICE never got an arrest warrant for him.

This issue has been a hot button topic across the nation and the state as more high-profile sheriffs in North Carolina refuse to comply with ICE detainers.

ICE said that so far this year, local authorities in North Carolina have refused to honor 489 detainers.

Read more…

Leave a Comment